Meet Angie Cui

Spring, ISEP Massey University Palmerston North; Palmserston North, New Zealand

I’ve always loved traveling and experiencing new cultures, so studying abroad had always been a goal of mine. I wanted to challenge myself by living in a new country away from family and friends. Specifically chose New Zealand because of its strong ties to agriculture and its “off the beaten path” vibe. New Zealand was perfect because the sheep/person ratio is 7:1 and had lots of beautiful national parks.

I learned how to navigate public transportation in other countries, while becoming more independent as an adult. I was also able to be more open to new norms and pushed myself to meeting more people!

Academically, I loved how all my labs were hands on with animals and included many excursions to different parts of the country. Outside the classroom, I loved the overall adventurous culture of NZ. While NZ doesn’t boast of many vibrant cities, I got to rock-climb, cliff jump, white water raft, hike up volcanoes, hitchhike, and much more!

Four female students on wooden path in marshy forest

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

The classes taken at Massey exposed me to international agricultural policies and allows me to solve problems from different concepts. Additionally, I am more adept to work with people from differentiating backgrounds and cultures.

I would look into other programs other than Europe! While Europe does boast of many cities and access to traveling to more countries, other programs also have benefits.

YES!